Thursday, July 20, 2017

Baby Boy - 32 Week Appointment

This Thursday 7/20, I went to the doctor's for my 32 week checkup. I also had a growth ultrasound and then a Non-Stress Test (NST) where they strap 2 monitors to my tummy to take some measurements.

At the ultrasound, he looked perfectly healthy! He seemed to be sleeping though as he wasn't moving around very much.  They measured him at 4 lbs 9oz which is in the 76th percentile, yikes! And luckily his head is down!

Later I had my first NST which I will also be having weekly. They strapped 2 monitors to me. The one on the bottom (pink) measures the baby's heartbeat. The top one (blue) measures the uterus activity and measures contractions.

Baby boy performed perfectly and we were done in 20 minutes! They are looking for 2 "jumps" or "spikes" in his heart activity, at least a 15-20 bpm jump during a 20 minute period. He "passed" with flying colors.  He actually got the hiccups right as the test was starting and I took a video. You can see my tummy jumping ever so slightly and you can hear the heart beat on the monitor changing because of the hiccups.

(If the baby doesn't perform the way they like, then they'll have me try to get him to move by drinking some juice or laying on my side and measuring again for another 20 minutes or so. If he still doesn't wake up or his heart doesn't act the way they like, then I get sent to the hospital triage unit for further monitoring).



No comments:

Post a Comment